Thursday 1 October 2009

Photography and Pinhole Cameras

Photography

Is the process, activity and art of creating still images or moving pictures by recording radiation on a sensitive medium, such as a photographic film, or an electronic sensor. Light patterns emitted or reflected from objects activate a sensitive chemical or electronic sensor during a timed exposure, usually through a photographic lens in a device known as a camera that also stores the resulting imagery.

Pinhole-Cameras

A pinhole camera is the most basic form of being able to capture an image using photographic paper.A pinhole camera is a very simple camera with no lens and a single very small aperture which captures images using photographic paper. It is a light-proof box painted black on the inside with a small hole in one side of the box, which is opposite the photographic paper. Light from a scene passes through this single point and projects an inverted image on the side of the box which has the photographic paper on. Cameras using small apertures, and the human eye in bright light both act like a pinhole camera, the smaller the hole, the sharper the image, but the dimmer the projected image. Optimally, the size of the aperture should be 1/100 or less of the distance between it and the screen. A pinhole camera's shutter is usually manually operated because of the lengthy exposure times, and consists of a flap of some light-proof material to cover and uncover the pinhole. Typical exposures range from 5 seconds to hours depending if the image is indoor or outdoors.

My Pin-hole Camera

Monday

On Monday 29th September 2009 I made my pin-hole camera using a cardboard box, some black paint, some tin foil, a pin and masking tape. First I painted the inside of my box black so that no light could bounce off the wall of the box and influence the image produced by the aperture, next I had to wait for it to dry (which seemed to take forever), then I cut out the hole for the aperture which was 2cm across and 2cm down so that it wasn’t to big or to small. Next over the aperture I put a piece of foil that I had cut out which was enough to cover the aperture completely finally I put a pin hole through the foil which I had secured to the box so that it was opposite the photographic paper.

Wednesday

On Wednesday 30th September 2009 I took my pin-hole camera out and took some pictures of things from indoors and outdoors. The first picture I took was of a table with some people sitting around it which I think come out better than the other pictures that I took. The next picture I took was of the Suffolk New College building which I think looks good but I think that if I had exposed the photographic paper for longer then it would have looked better. The last photos I took didn’t turn out as I hoped because they came out completely black and so I decided not to put them on the blog because they wouldn’t have looked very good.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Thomas - your photographs are a creative response to the week-long project. Your technical information backs up the images and demonstrates your understanding of the photographic principles involved in the project.

    ReplyDelete